Old Placidians’ Association is an Alumni organization of ex-students of St. Placid’s High School, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Any person who studied at St. Placid’s High School for at least 3 year may join the association. Now there are 1700+ life members exist in this association. Every three years this Association organize a wonderful reunion for it’s member. This association formed in Year 1955.
OPA 29th AGM (15 February, 2019) Documents
The Objectives of OPA are as follows:
- To give past pupils of St. Placid’s High School opportunities of meeting one another.
- To keep alive the interest of these old boys in the progress and development of the school.
- To foster contact and a spirit of solidarity among these old boys.
- To promote mutual assistance among these old boys in the fields of employment, social service, etc.
- To cooperate with the authorities of St. Placid’s High School whenever called upon to do so, in such matters as may be of value and importance to the School.
History of St. Placid’s High School in brief:
Saint Placid’s High School, founded much more than a century ago by the Anglo-Belgian Benedictines (and named after Placid, a Benedictine Saint of the 6th century) was one of the first schools taken over by the Religious of Holy Cross in 1853. One of the outstanding educators in the history of St. Placid’s was a devoted Anglo-Indian named Felix Fernandez. This well educated young man, at the earnest request of the Benedictines gave up bright prospects of success during nineteen years, until his untimely death at the age of 43, gave the best of him to the noble cause of education. Between 1889 and 1920, fifteen headmasters succeeded one another. On the 10th of January 1922, Rev. Fr. Boulay handed over the direction of the school to Rev. Br. Ambrose who during many years was the mainstay as headmaster and teacher, thus the entire responsibility of the institution was placed in the hands of the brothers since the arrival of Holy Cross in Bengal in 1853.